Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Westport Cafe and Bar (WCB) Steak Night

It has been a while, but I am back with another amazing steak night here is Cowtown.

Steak Soirée

  • Where: Westport Cafe and Bar (WCB) 419 Westport Road, Kansas City MO 64111
  • What: Steak, Bearnaise Sauce, &Unlimited Fries
  • When: Every Tuesday Night
  • Cost: $15.00
  • Satisfaction Level: Awesome

It has been a while since my last review, but I was in the mood for a nice steak last Tuesday and happened upon the WCB's Instgram feed, and they had a delicious looking steak. Plus I had never taken my wife (yes I have gotten married since the last post so I really need to step up my game here) to WCB, which was a tragedy in itself.  

Westport Cafe and Bar is one of my favorite places in Kansas City, whether it is for a relaxing brunch, a cocktail and great happy hour, or a wonderful french dinner there are very few places in town that are as consistently excellent as WCB (I'll abbreviate it from here on out because I'm lazy). Apparently this steak night has been happening for some time, and I am way late to the game.

What a way to come back.  This steak was amazing. This was a wonderful little mid-week date night for my wife and I, who also likes steaks as much as I do.  She often asks for steak with a side of steak for dinner.

The deal here is you get the Steak Frites, which would normally run you 23 bucks, for $15 dollars. Added bonus you can have unlimited fries. I will go on record and say I could not eat more than the gave me. I asked our server how many people actually get refills and he said it was generally people who came had a steak, then stayed for a few more drinks. So if you wanted to have a few cocktails, and a bottle of wine on a random Tuesday night, you would have as many fries as you could eat with it.

We got in around 7:30, so we missed out on happy hour, but if you get there between 4-6 this can be paired with any of their amazing happy hour specials.  WCB has a wonderful cocktail selection, as well as a great, but not overwhelming or inaccessible wine list. I ordered a really nice bold and dry Malbec and my wife ordered an extremely tasty cocktail called the Charlie Sour. If you have not had the pleasure of sampling some cocktails at WCB I would highly recommend checking out their bar program.


I ordered my steak medium rare, as did my wife (we probably wouldn't be together if she liked her steak well done, luckily that's not something I need to worry about). They came out perfectly medium rare. Much better than most of the places we order these at. The crust around the outside was perfect with large lumps of rock salt crusted all around. Normally I like my steak with salt and nothing else, but because this is a french restaurant and the Bearnaise sauce came as part of the dish I decided to go full steam ahead.  This did not disappoint, the citrus lemon and buttery fatty flavors of the Bearnaise were an excellent complement to a wonderfully cooked cut of beef. The steak also comes with an herb butter on top. I am sad to say I could not pick out the exact herb combo, but I know there was some parsley in there. It was good, but not as great as the Bearnaise sauce.  I'd recommend trying both and seeing which one you like more.  

The service was impeccable as always at WCB, and the understated classy yet casual vibe of the place never ceases to impress me. If you are craving a steak on a Tuesday night you will be happy your stopped by Westport Cafe and Bar.      

No comments:

Post a Comment