Monday, February 29, 2016

The Drop


Deal: Tuesday nights $15.00 for a Ribeye and a Pint or 2 Steaks and a bottle of wine for $30.00

The Drop Bistro may have just added the best steak night in town. A long time Union Hill and Martini Corner Establishment, the Drop announced last week their new Tuesday night Steak Night.  For 15 dollars you get a Ribeye, with Veggies and Mashed potatoes and a Pint of beer if you are solo, or if you have a dining companion and both get a steak you get a bottle of wine along with the steak. That's 2 ribeye's and a bottle of wine for $30.00. Seriously.

As this is in my backyard (quite literally, Martini Corner is right behind my house) I decided to give this a go. I was very glad I did.  If you want something fun to do on a Tuesday night I would highly recommend going

The Drop has excellent cocktails, the best selection of bruschetta in town, one of my personal favorite charcuterie spreads, plus a nice accessible wine list.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see them advertising this However the Drop consistently has some of the best specials in town on the weekdays, so perhaps this will last.  On Thursday's they have a $25.00 bottle of wine and bruschetta special.


While I do love the bruschetta at the drop I am here to discuss the steak night. I brought a dining companion along because, beyond enjoying her company, the real deal here is the steak plus bottle of wine.

Granted the picture here is not great, but you get the idea. They actually give you a decent bottle of wine. It will not be winning any awards, but it did not taste like vinegar and feet. This was a nice dry but fruity with nice plum and cherry notes Crane Lake Malbec that paired perfectly with the steak.

This is about a 7-10 dollar bottle of wine at the grocery store.

I am partial to a good Malbec with a steak from my time in Argentina, however they also offer a bottle of Crane Lake Cabernet-sauvignon as well if you are not a huge fan of Malbec.

As always I ordered my steak medium rare as did my date.  It came out fairly quickly, but looked quite tasty.  It was a big, but not terribly thick cut of Ribeye with a lot of fat.  A lot of fat was good here, it infused the juicy fatty savory flavor throughout that makes steak so good.

The steak itself was well seasoned.  I did not even use any additional salt, which is rare for me. It tasted like they probably used some butter when cooking this as well.  The steak was for certain not cooked on a grill, but a steak on a skillet can be good if done property.

My only complain about the steak was that because it was thin, the chef probably left it on for an extra 30 seconds or so and it went from medium rate to medium by the time I revived the steak.  The flavor, fat and tenderness of the cut made up for a little overcooking.

One of the best things about the Drop is their dedication to solid fresh ingrediants. The steak was tasty, but the sides were really the standout here. The mashed potatoes were perfectly whipped with a smoth and rich buttery garlic flavor I could not get enough of. The zuccini and squash were perfectly cooked to be slightly hard still, but had a nice simple salt and pepper crust to them that went wonderfully with the steak.  I would highly reccomoned this as a perfect steak night for 2.

To Sum it up:
Martini Corner
  • The Drop Bistro:
    409 E 31st St
    Kansas City, MO 64108 
  • Steak - flavorful
  • Sides - ridiculously good
  • Drink specials - you get a bottle of wine
  • When: Tuesday Nights

The Drop Bistro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 



No comments:

Post a Comment